Monday, April 12, 2010

Scary Experience

Last Thursday our family went through a pretty scary experience. We learned a lot from it, but I'm not going to say that I'm glad that it happened. Anyways, here's what happened. Jason was boiling some bottles late wednesday evening and had come down stairs to help me get Tylie to bed. The plan was to get Tylie to sleep and then transfer Emma from the swing to the crib (and of course turn off the stove and get the bottles ready for the next day). Well, to say the least, it didn't turn out the way we planned. Jason and I were both very tired and had fallen asleep. We woke up to the smoke detector beeping. We ran up stairs and saw that the room was filled with smoke (the bottles had burned down to nothing). I immediately went to Emma and took her and Tylie straight outside. At the time, I wasn't even sure that Emma was breathing, I just knew I had to get her out! Thankfully, Emma seemed to be ok. I was so frantic and still very concerned about baby Emma, so I called my mom and asked her what to do. She, of course, told me to go to the hospital and get everyone checked out. We got to the hospital and I couldn't even hold myself together. I was still in shock and couldn't stop crying. I remember thinking that I would never be able to forgive myself if my girls weren't ok. We were sent to Pediatrics and they put Tylie and Emma on oxygen. Emma got blood work done to test her PH levels. They were higher than normal, but the doctors reassured me that she was going to be just fine. I was still pretty shaken up about everything, so Jason and I decided that I would go down south to my mom and dad's place while Jason stayed to get the smoke smell out of our house. I'm so thankful for awesome family that has done so much to help us get through this. I love you all!

Looking back, I feel so blessed that we all made it out safely. We have 2 smoke detectors (one upstairs and one downstairs). The one upstairs never went off. I know that the Lord was watching over us that night. I could feel his presence every step of the way, guiding and comforting me through everything. This experience definately increased my testimony that God lives. He loves us and watches over us. He is happy when we are happy and is hurting when we hurt. He knows what is best for us. Trials come in all different shapes and forms, but I know that with the help of the Lord, we can get through anything.

1 comment:

King Family said...

I'm glad you are all safe too!! And what a reminder that Heavenly Father loves us and watches over us!